Friday, April 15, 2011

Ruffle Icing Technique



The Martha Stewart inspired "Ruffle Cake" frosting method is a gorgeous yet simple way to decorate a cake for any special occasion! 

I used this technique to frost my Lemon Raspberry Cake, which I made when my husband and I celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary. I think the design would be gorgeous for a wedding, or you could color the frosting for a birthday party.!


Ruffle Cake Decorating Technique

You will need...
Icing bag
Coupler
Frosting Tip #103 (shown below)
Note: You can place your cake on a rotating cake stand if its easier for you. I just rotated my regular cake stand by hand. This way, I didn't have to transfer the cake after it was frosted.

Step 1. Cut the tip of your frosting bag just enough so the coupler fits in nicely at the end of the bag. 


 Step 2. Add your #103 frosting tip, and secure with coupler cap.

Step 3. fold down your bag and with a spatula fill the bag with buttercream icing. Twist the end of the bag so the frosting doesn't squirt out while your working. (You can use a rubber band to tie off the end if you want). 


4. Hold the frosting bag vertically against the cake, with the larger side of the frosting tip closest to the cake. 


Step 5. Starting at the bottom of the cake, squeeze out the frosting and move your hand in a rounded zig-zag motion, all the way up the cake. Make your zig-zag about 1" wide. As you see below, my first ruffle was not perfect, but after I practiced a few more they got much better!


Step 6. Continue this method until you have gone all the way around your cake. Now use the same technique for the top.



Step 7. To make your cake look a little more clean and finished, you can pipe a simple boarder around the perimiter of your cake top. You can either use a simple line, or do something like THIS, similar to what I did, only I did longer segments and used the same #103 tip.

Your finished! Now, "Let them eat cake!"

12 comments:

  1. Ok, I have a request. You must make this for me when you come to Washington next month. Pretty please with swirly frosting on top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have seen this cake on martha stewart's site and i am so glad you posted instructions... can't wait to try it out :D

    -Abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! Absolutely Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Andrea, what will you think of next? Looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this!! Thank you thank you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much. I saw this on Martha Stewarts website and was totally stumped! You made it look possible! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is the recipe for the frosting? Can you use the ready made?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!!!
    Can you share the recipe for the frosting?

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yaneri,

    I used the Wilton Buttercream Icing Recipe, which calls for 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup shortening, 4 cups powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, and 2 Tbl milk. I have added a link to the actual Wilton recipe at the beginning of the tutorial. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks. I needed all the picture instructions. This is truly beautiful. I found you on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you, your blog is very useful and the details you include are thorough.

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made it look so easy. Great foto tutorial for us visual learners. Thank you! ML White

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...