Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Something Sweet : Meltaways


Have you ever tasted a Meltaway cookie before?

If you haven't you are definitely missing out because they are Good! And by that I mean, melt in your mouth kind of good...literally!

Not only are these charming little cookies tasty, they are also perfect for many occasions! I would love to serve these at a wedding, lunch-in, or birthday party. Also, I think they would be exceptionally fitting for a little girls tea party! You really can coordinate them to fit any occasion by simply changing the color of the frosting dollop to suit your fancy.










For the recipe and full tutorial click below!
*Warning: Meltaway's are dangerously delicious when warm out of the oven!

Meltaways
Ingredients - for the cookie
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
*Optional: 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
(I like to add this but it's just a personal preference).


Frosting
I used 1/2 of THIS buttercream frosting recipe. I still ended up with a lot of leftovers so I would say you could even 1/4 it and be fine. You will also need an icing bag, coupler, and star or flower shaped frosting tip.

Step 1. Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl.



Step 2. Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
(You can also add a 1/4 tsp. almond extract here if desired).



Step 3. Add the flour and cornstarch and mix on a low speed for 1-2 min.



 Step 5. Cover dough and refrigerate for at least 30 min.

Step 6. Take dough out of the fridge and roll into balls about 1/2" in diameter. Place the dough balls on an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake in the oven at 350 degrees F. for around 9-12 min. (I filled about 1 & 1/4 baking sheets with dough balls)

Step 7. While the cookies are baking make a small batch of buttercream frosting. I used THIS recipe, but any buttercream recipe will work. (I only used about 1/4 of one batch of frosting, you don't need much!)




Step 8. Color your frosting any color you please.



Step 9. After the cookies have cooled completely, 
prepare your icing bag with a star or flower shaped tip. 



Step 10. Squeeze a small dollop of frosting onto each cookie.

Now place on a serving platter, & ENJOY! 

10 comments:

  1. I was the lucky recipient of a plate of these . . .wow so delicious. I don't think any of them lasted to share with my family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really should make a "something sweet" book. They are the cutest looking treats with great photography. I would so buy that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Melissa! That would be a super fun project! I better start baking like crazy so I can get enough material to make a book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes PLEASE! Andrea, these look awesome!!! I'm hosting a baby shower in a few weeks and I think that these Meltaways should be part of the plan. :) Thanks for the inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look divine, I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are divine. I've had them before. Thanks for reminding me how good they are. I better go make them now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your photo collection of this sweeties!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look both girly and scrumptious! What is the best way to store these if I wanted to make them a few days in advance?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do these freeze well? Making cookies for my niece's wedding in Oct.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious! Made this recipe twice in 24hrs

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...