Tuesday, November 15, 2011

DIY Tuesday: Felt Ornament


A couple of years ago I did what I thought was smart and shopped the Target 75% off sale for all new Christmas ornaments. I LOVED the theme and color combination that I had chosen (sort of a eclectic/modern take on the traditional Christmas color scheme).

To my utter dismay, my husband hated strongly disliked practically all of the ornaments I had chosen, especially the color scheme. I was heart broken at the time but being the good husband that he is, he allowed me to do whatever I wanted to our tree last year. Surprisingly, I discovered that he was right and I started missing the more traditional decor that I had grown up with.

So now it's back to square one. I am starting to gather more ideas and inspiration for the perfect Christmas tree decor. I have decided to stick with the traditional Christmas color scheme, but thought it would be fun to add a few more modern yet rustic elements.

Which is where I got the idea for this DIY felt ornament...which has sort of a modern/organic feel. I really like how they turned out and I'm excited to finally get to hang them in a couple of weeks!




Click below to learn how to make some of your own!


Organic Felt Ornament
Materials Needed
Felt - I used a sandstone color
Small fabric scissors
Crafter's foam balls 2" diameter
Ribbon 1/8" - I used a cream color
Hot glue gun

Step 1. Cut a 12" long piece of ribbon and place the ends inside of the small hole in your foam ball. Fill the hole with hot glue (I'm not sure if the is the best way of attachment, but it's all I could come up with :)



Step 2. Cut your felt into small circles (approximately 2" in diameter). You will need about 30 circles to cover 1 ball - I know it sounds like a lot, but once you get going, they are fairly quick and easy to cut. (but if you buy a smaller foam ball you wont need quite as many). I liked to work on 1 ornament at a time, so my fingers wouldn't get so tired.


Now cut the circles directly in half.

Step 3. Take one of the half circles and hold it so the curved edge is facing down. Then fold the right corner down, place a dab of hot glue in the center of the fold, and then fold the left side over the top.




Now place your finger inside of the opening so it looks like a little finger hat! This will help flare out the edges of the shape...the larger the flare the less you will have to use to cover the foam ball.



Step 4. Repeat the above step for all of your 1/2 circles. When you are done gluing, cut off the bottom tips.


Step 5. Hot glue the felt shapes to your foam ball (large side up). If you have a low temp glue gun you can work a little more quickly by gluing a large area and then adding multiple pieces at a time. (if the glue is too hot it will melt the foam) Glue the pieces next to each other and work your way around. If you just glue randomly, you will be left with awkward spaced in-between the felt. 





Step 6. If you want, you can add a little embellishment to your ribbon loop (like a lace bow or beads). Here are a few options I tried out...

I decided to go with just a simple small ribbon...

And now hang on your tree and enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. great idea! I so hit up the 75% off a few years ago too! Like I really needed anymore Christmas stuff...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I like the organic feel to them. A tree would be so pretty filled with these of all different colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great; I've been trying to figure out what to do for ornaments this year, so I'll keep this one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I love how there are so many ways you could customize the look. I can definitely see myself making these with a glass of wine in front of a Christmas movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are SOO creative!!! These turned out amazing and look so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Owww- wouldnt snow-white ones and Christmas Red ones be beautiful??/ or add a few circles of green to them here and there!!!
    GREAT idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow so easy and so cute!!!!! I'm such a sucker for felt too so this is right up my ally. Thanks!

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! These ornaments are stunning in their simplicity! I love felt too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this on Pinterest and absolutely LOVE it! I'm going to feature your post in my Link Love post this Saturday. So creative!

    Kindness is the best accessory,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so magical! ♥_♥ ! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love your ornaments. Look mine, I hope you like them too!!.

    http://decocinasytacones.blogspot.com/2011/11/tutorial-paso-paso.html

    Kiss from across the atlantic.
    Marialuisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it Andrea. We want to make some for our tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are seriously cute. I love how natural they look.

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are so awesome! thanks for the tute!
    Smiles-
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful and so simple... I just made my first batch of felt and was trying to come up with good ideas to use it with!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so pretty...can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. my christmas tree is going to be FILLED with this (:

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really pretty and unusual, well done, will have to try these. Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was wondering what to do with glittered felt and this works wonderfully with it and shine beautifully

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...