Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Whole Wheat Apple Waffles


Breakfast food is definitely on my top 10 list when it comes to favorite meals. No matter what it always sounds good to me. In fact, when I had super bad morning sickness during my pregnancy, breakfast food was one of the things that always sounded good.
(that and for some strange reason goldfish with chocolate milk :)


We have breakfast food for dinner quite often and one of our favorite things to have are whole wheat apple waffles. I have been searching for a good whole wheat waffle recipe forever...it's hard to find one that actually uses 100% whole wheat and is still fluffy and moist.

Well, I believe I have found the perfect whole wheat waffle recipe. I can honestly say that they are my favorite waffles, even over other traditional recipes.

We top our waffles with THIS + a little whip cream = Yum!

Try them for yourself...check out the recipe and tutorial below!
(recipe is adapted from Whole Foods Market)

Whole Wheat Apple Waffles

Ingredients
1/4 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup shredded apple



Step 1. Combine cornmeal, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.

Step 2. In a separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, eggs, water, oil, and vanilla.

Step 3. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients.

Step 4. Shred 1 cups worth of apple with a cheese grater. Add to the mix and stir until everything is evenly combined. 




Step 5. Bake in a waffle iron and top with This or whatever you please!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...